Discovering the whimsical world of desserts at Cut Catch Cucina.
Cut Catch Cucina at Sofitel Bali Nusa Dua Beach Resort is one of the most coveted dining destinations in Bali, and the reason is pretty unique: the restaurant houses three culinary concepts under one roof. Just as the name suggests, Cut Catch Cucina offers carnivorous delights from its steakhouse, Italian fare from its osteria and the freshest catch from its sea grill section. Another thing that is famous about the restaurant is its Weekend Chic Brunch, which serves a smorgasbord of tasty fare every Saturday and Sunday from 11AM to 3PM.
That being said, there’s one crucial element that is often overlooked – though a sweet tooth would agree that it deserves great recognition of its own: the desserts. Cut Catch Cucina offers a limited selection of desserts, but each boasts a refined classic Italian recipe. You can never go wrong with tiramisu, layer after layer of goodness comprising mascarpone mousse, savolardi biscuit, coffee bean ice cream, coco sauce and crumbs. Panna cotta is always delicately delicious with white chocolate, honeycomb, strawberries, strawberry jelly and coconut gelato. Then there’s the intriguing mousse al cioccolato consisting of dark chocolate mousse, cocoa biscuit, mango, passion fruit coulis and salted caramel gelato.
Under the guidance of Executive Chef Daine Gilbert, the dedicated pastry department and chefs are never short of fantastic creativity in whipping up the most imaginative sweet creations. The dessert section at the Weekend Chic Brunch is even more tantalising and fun with an endless array of chocolates, hard candies, jellies, meringues and cakes. During special brunches, the team even steps it up a notch further by having a devoted dessert room.
Take this year’s Easter brunch, the thematically titled Magical Easter Brunch Wonderland. There’s no theme more suitable for enjoying sweets over coffee and tea than Tim Burton’s movie Alice in Wonderland, inspired by Lewis Carroll’s classic. Not only was the staff dressed as the whimsical story’s characters, but Cut Catch Cucina was also decorated to match the theme. Gigantic mushrooms and card soldiers were to be seen in the corners. The best part was, of course, the dessert room. A paradise for kids – and for the inner kids in adults alike, the room combined the festivity of Easter and the quirkiness of Wonderland. Colourful chocolate eggs were everywhere, there were cakes shaped like wacky teacups, a giant teapot and the head of the Red Queen could be seen around the room.
Apart from the kiddie fun, no matter how old you are, there will always be room for desserts. And with the signature opera cake, lemon tart and cheesecake available on the buffet, Cut Catch Cucina is a great place to start your sweet adventure.
Mango Mousse Cylinders
- 450ml mango puree
- 40ml condensed milk
- 60g sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 330ml milk
- 12g gelatine leaves, soaked in cold water
- 200ml cream
- Whisk condensed milk, sugar and egg yolks to form a sabayon.
- Bring milk to the boil then mix into sabayon.
- Stir soaked gelatine into warm milk mixture until it dissolves.
- Stir mango puree into the milk mixture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk double cream to a medium peak and fold into the milk mixture.
- Cut non-stick paper into 8x12cm squares, roll into cylinders using sticky tape to hold them in place. Put cling film on cylinder bottoms so no liquid can seep out.
- Place cylinders upright supported in egg trays and carefully pour the mango mixture into the tubes. Freeze until solid.
Caramelised white chocolate mousse
- 50g white chocolate
- 100g cream
- ½ gelatine leaf
- 30g egg yolk
- 20g caster sugar
- Melt chocolate in a pan over low-medium heat until golden brown, stirring so that it does not catch. Deglaze with the cream, remove from heat and stir in gelatine until completely dissolved.
- Whisk egg yolks with caster sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Fold eggs through chocolate, one third at a time.
- Semi-whip cream to soft peaks and fold through chocolate mixture.
- Plate with mango puree, raspberry puree, peanut butter biscuit soil, caramelised white chocolate mousse.
- Mango cylinder: mango mousse, caramelised white chocolate mousse, mango gel, peanut butter biscuit soil