at Mandapa, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
More than just a restaurant, Kubu is where fine cuisine is taken to a state-of-the-art level, evoking a whole new level of gastronomic appreciation. Ensconced in the unassumingly elegant Mandapa, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve, Kubu occupies a picturesque spot on the banks of the Ayung River, in the front row of unparalleled scenic surroundings. The restaurant’s open-air bamboo structure makes it iconic by itself, not to mention the nine private dining bamboo cocoons – completing the idyllic ambience.
Led by the highly skilled Executive Sous Chef Bayu Retno Timur, the inspired culinary team of Kubu aims to serve diners not only with refined Mediterranean-European-inspired dishes, but also a dining experience to remember. Composed from the freshest ingredients, crafted and designed around the team’s creativity and technical skill, each dish carries finesse and flavours that can’t be found anywhere else.
Open for dinner only, Kubu offers a curated à la carte menu. That being said, the six- to eight-course degustation menus are something you should try at least once. Exquisite dishes made from premium ingredients are waiting to be savoured, including foie gras parfait with beetroot, rhubarb and pistachio, and hamachi with cucumber, ginger, lemon and jalapeno. Not to mention the Boston lobster ravioli and signature wagyu beef short ribs with Jerusalem artichoke, onion compote and red wine jus.
- Boston Lobster Ravioli with Chardonnay Sauce
- Moroccan-spiced Lamb Rack
With truffle prawn mousse, radicchio and classic fish sauce
- 2 Argentinian prawns
- 10g black truffle prawn mousse
- 20ml fish sauce
- 3g sea urchin
- 2g black olive soil
- 5g celery, diced
- 5 beef tomato, diced
- 1g salmon roe
- Micro greens
- Edible flowers
- Baby zucchini slices
- 1.2kg white fish bones (red snapper)
- 1 onion
- 1 leek
- 1l white wine
- 100g white wine vinegar
- 1l water
Black truffle prawn mousse:
- 230g prawn/lobster bisque
- 230g cream
- 230g egg yolk
- Truffle oil
- Squid ink
- Salt and pepper
- For the fish stock, clean the fish bones under running water, place all items in a medium pot and bring to the boil. Simmer gently to reduce the stock for about 1.5 hours.
- For the classic fish sauce, boil 500g fish stock in a medium pot and reduce to 200g. Add butter and a squeeze of lemon juice. Add diced tomato, celery and spring onion.
- For the black truffle prawn mouse, mix all items and roast at 170C for 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven, keep in chiller until set. Blend until smooth, pass through a fine sieve. Add squid ink and chopped black truffle. Mix well.
- For the black olive soil, seed 500g black olives and dehydrate for 12 hours. Blend to a soil texture.
- For the radicchio, clean the radicchio leaves, remove the white centre. Vacuum individual leaves and sous vide at 85C for 30 minutes. Before serving, brush each leaf with oil and sprinkle with olive soil on one side only.
- To finish, place one tablespoon of lobster mousse in the centre of the plate. Place sea urchin, radicchio, diced tomato and celery. Sear prawn until cooked thoroughly and roll in baby zucchini. Plcae on top of prawn mousse. Add salmon roe and dress with micro greens and edible flowers. Set classic fish sauce on the side.
Exquisite Taste March – May 2019